About The Golden Trigger

The modern sportsman has many tools at his disposal, but arguably his most valuable possession is his firearm. In the field a hunter's weapon is an extension of himself. And in recognizing this, many gun makers mark their finest pieces with a golden trigger.

This blog is meant to report on the timeless materials and experiences that mean the most to an outdoorsman. Beyond this The Golden Trigger provides a forum for expressing what makes the exploits of this tweed and muddy lifestyle the ultimate satisfaction for a true southern gentleman.




Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Southern Gentleman's Equestrian Events


This year I was given the opportunity to attend three spring horse races. The first being the Carolina Cup, located in Camden South Carolina, which I have already discussed. The second event was the 15th Queens Cup in Charlotte, and the third was the ever popular Kentucky Derby.

While I have to admit that experiencing the Derby and pretending I belonged among the horse owners and country music stars that paid visit to the large estate like room we watched the races from was immensely fun, I'm not sure it is something I would do again.

The posh atmosphere, gambling and dining were entertaining to say the least, but the whole event seemed to lack a certain southern charm.

In all honesty, by far the favorite equine event I attended this year was the Queens Cup. While unfortunately I wasn't able to stay for the entire day, what I experienced at this relatively new and unknown steeplechase was so much more casual and civilized than any of the others.

Not only would I call it the most beautiful track I've visited in the southeast, but I would dare to say the event was the most relaxed and old-fashioned I have attended. All to often people mistake class for wealth. The Queens Cup however felt genuine and unpretentious. Their were families and children everywhere, and while Rachelle and I were both grossly overdressed I felt unmistakably at ease. This allowed for a laid back feel that let us enjoy the company of those surrounding us, and the events events we actually showed up to watch.

I certainly don't mean to bash the Kentucky Derby. Churchill Downs is an overwhelmingly beautiful facility, and I adore the people who took me and joined me there. I would encourage absolutely anyone to attend at least once. However, if you're looking for somewhere to buy tent, I have to say that Charlotte continues to impress.

(Although I did not attend this year, based on several past experiences the Golden Trigger would also have to recommend Sunday matches at the Aiken Polo Club, in Aiken, S.C.)

No comments:

Post a Comment