About The Golden Trigger

The modern sportsman has many tools at his disposal, but arguably his most valuable possession is his firearm. In the field a hunter's weapon is an extension of himself. And in recognizing this, many gun makers mark their finest pieces with a golden trigger.

This blog is meant to report on the timeless materials and experiences that mean the most to an outdoorsman. Beyond this The Golden Trigger provides a forum for expressing what makes the exploits of this tweed and muddy lifestyle the ultimate satisfaction for a true southern gentleman.




Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Fleeting Innocence of the Carolina Cup


Every March college students, among others, flock to Camden, South Carolina for a day of racing, a taste of spring, and seemingly above all else the opportunity to ruin their Sunday best with failed keg stands and spilled Jello shots.

I, admittedly, love the Carolina Cup, but in all honesty this love has been fleeting over the last several years.

Growing up for the most part in Sumter, S.C. My family often attended the Cup, and each time I marveled at the elegance and opulence around me. Likewise, I was fascinated by the sport of racing.

As a college student, unfortunately, my innocence is long gone. I am reluctant to say that any semblance of class has diminished entirely, but in the college park area dignity was rarely visible or audible.

I recognize that the sophistication soapbox was not the original purpose of this blog, but southern lifestyle is a large part of what makes me tick. Frankly, I was embarrassed by fellow university representatives. I'm all about having a good time, but restraint and humility are key to maintaining the level of class that the professional and social realms in the South demand. Having said that, I recognize that it is perhaps better to get it all out of your system now.

The girl on my arm, as usual, is my lovely girlfriend Rachelle. Rachelle, as a woman, is perfect. As a companion, she is without fault. And as an accessory, well just look at her. At some point in this blog I will address what makes the perfect southern sportsman's girlfriend, and why finding that girl is absolutely essential.

Rachelle wore a light blue gingham Lily Pulitzer dress with a standard white hat. I originally bought her a dress at a local boutique, but also as usual, her style represents a monumental triumph over mine. I tried to avoid the pastel and bow-tie cliche often seen on stumbling frat boys at the cup and went for a more equestrian look: Gucci bit-loafers, Burberry's leather belt, and a jockey themed Salvatore Ferragamo tie; all to accompany a light blue Lacoste oxford and tan and white seersucker slacks from J. Crew.

If you are planning on attending Cup in the future, here are a few tips to make your trip a little easier.
  • Find some friends and charter a bus. It's still cheaper than a DUI.
  • Bring enough food and drink to get you through the day. This includes water.
  • Wear comfortable shoes and sunglasses.
  • Stay Classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment